About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Trapped


Trapped by Michael Northrop

The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive.
Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, the the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision....

I love the cover artwork, it set the initial tone for the book.
I always enjoy a book that lets me imagine what I would do in that situation. What if I were trapped at school with a couple of good friends, a couple people I'd like to get to know better, and a couple that I don't really want anything to do with. For me I have experienced some crazy snow storms, where we were trapped at home, without power and limited water for several days. But home is home, there are comforts there that you know exist. Being trapped in a school with no adults would be quite another story. Imagine it if you can.

I liked how the weather and the snow itself became a character of the story, sometimes bringing hope and other times the complete bad guy. Mean, nasty, unforgiving and in this case unrelenting. I'd enjoy hearing if you guys think that a super storm of this magnitude could ever be possible? Think of your answer carefully - the past 5 years have had some pretty crazy stuff happen.

No comments: