About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

100 words every middle schooler should know


100 words every middle schooler should know from the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries


I thought this was a terrific little book/dictionary. These are words that you've probably encountered in your recreational reading, or maybe heard your teacher use, or maybe you've seen them in a textbook.


Well this book gives you the definition, the pronounciation, short notes on where the word comes from and each word is also shown in at least one quotation from a book by a popular YA writer.


Learn a few and I sure you'll impress your teachers, your parents and me.


P.S. I can still remember the day that a grade 8 student used the word plethora (I thought I was the only one using that word - I was amazed.)

No comments: