About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Graphic novel blitz

Stickman Odyssey: an epic doodle by Christopher Ford

Well, this one by far was my favourite read in my Graphic Novel Blitz. There is something about stickmen cartooning that I think is endearing for all of us. It somehow puts us all on a level playing field- that is because we can all draw a stickman, and with a few added lines or bendy lines suddenly our stickman is running. Ta da! Now when you're good at the stickman all you need is a story - no, an epic story. And your on your way. That's how I imagine Christopher Ford got his start, and he just ran with it.

Of course this is a retelling of a very classic story, - The Odyssey. For those of you who have never heard of it, well, it's gonna cross your path someday. But I'm pretty sure some of you will recognise the retelling of these ancient Greek stories. This was laugh out loud funny in places. I really, really liked it.

Summary:
When Zozimos is banished by an evil witch (his stepmother) from the kingdom of Sticatha- the kingdom he was next in line to rule - he trains at battle ( if you can call chasing butterflies training), travels across stormy seas (thanks for that Poseidon), slays golems and monsters (with a lot of help), charms beautiful women (not really) and somehow (despite his own ineptitude) survives quest after quest. By the love of Zeus, though, none of it brings him closer to home!
It does however, make for one quirky, original, giggle provoking graphic novel sure to appeal to any kid interested in Greek Mythology, or mearly looking for an entertaining read.

Loved it.
READ ON

No comments: