About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Mirror, mirror


Mirror, mirror : a book of reversible verse by Marilyn Singer ; illustrated by Josee Massee

Summary from the publisher:
What's brewing when two favourties - poetry and fairy tales- are turned (literally) on their heads? It's a revolutionary recipe: and infectious new genre of poetry and a lovably modern take on classic stories.

First read the poems forward (how old fashioned), then reverse the lines and read again to give familiar tales, from Sleeping Beauty to Prince Charming, a delicious new spin.

I'm enchanted with reverso poetry, I've watched some of it scroll down the screen and then back up on youtube, and usually it has to do with a negative set of values being reversed into a positive set of values, but I had never seen it become a retelling of classic fairytales until now. Charmed by the book, the illustrations and ready to share it with those classes about to embark into the world of poetry.

Read On

No comments: