About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Alabama Moon


Alabama Moon by Watt Key

I just started this book this morning - I'm so into it that I'm wishing I'd have brought it to school with me cause instead of blogging about it, I'd be reading right about now.
Oh well. But I've got to say I'm really, really liking it so far (I think I'm on page 130.)

Here's what Booklist has to say about it:
"This excellent novel of survival and adventure begins with the death of young Moon's father, an antigovernment radical who has been living off the land in rural Alabama with Moon for years. Moon has never known any truth but his Dad's, and so he tries to continue his father's lifestyle. Unfortunately, Moon quickly finds himself in the claws of civilization, as personified by a sadistic cop. After a brief stint in jail (a lifetime of hunting and gathering leaves Moon is hilariously pleased with prison food), Moon again lights out for the territories, only to be recaptured and ends up in reform school. Of course no school is gonna keep Moon in check. Key's first novel is populated with memorable characters and studded with authentic details about rural Alabama and survivalism. Stylistically, the book is perfectly paced and Moon's narration is thoroughly believeable." Ilene Cooper

Like I said earlier, I can't wait to get home to read more.
PS - it's so good they've made it into a movie, of course you should read the book first but here's the trailer.

No comments: