About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Current favourite


Hold Still by Nina LaCour
I appreciate what Gayle Forman wrote for the back cover:
"Hold Still may be the truest depiction of the aching, gaping hole left in the wake of a suicide that I've ever read. But it's anything but depressing and gloomy - it's also about the tender shoots of new relationships that grow unexpectedly out of tragedy. A haunting and hopeful book about loss, love and redemption.
Hold Still is not an easy book, suicide is not an easy topic to write about, talk about or even for some of us to think about. And yet it's a topic that needs to have a voice, and Nina LaCour has created a beautiful, real voice that relates the hurt, lonliness and anger that is real in the survivors. Carefully crafted , I can't help but have this as my current favourite.
From page 201 -- "I imagine what would happen if everyone turned their regrets into wishes, went around shouting them. Signal lights would change at intersections, and as the people on opposite sides of the street stepped off the curbs, they would calle to one another - Finish college! Exercise at least three times a week! Never start smoking! Tell your mother you love her! Make peace with your brother! Take your dog to the park! Keep in touch with your friends!"
Loved it!!
Here's the book trailer

No comments: