About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Runner by Carl Deuker


Runner by Carl Deuker


This is probably my book of the week! I enjoyed the fast-paced, edge of your seat suspense that the book had. Here's the summary from the back cover:


One step from homelessness and hunger, Chance Taylor worries about things other kids his age never give a second thought to: Where will the money come from for the electricity bill and grocery bill? When a new job falls his way, Chance jumps at the opportunity, becoming a runner who picks up strange packages. Chance knows how much he will earn - what he doesn't know is how much he will pay.


I thought the use of short chapters really helped keep this book going pace wise. Chance is a believable character that gets caught up in a situation that he has his own doubts about and against his better judgement he takes the risk that will end up having pretty extreme outcome.
Highly recommend this one.

I've already got a great booktalk planned for this one.
Here's a student (not from G.S.Lakie) made book trailer for Runner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats not at all how I imagined the movie being like if it was an actual movie....It wasn't the best keep on trying.... :( The book was 100 times better