About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Beastly a fairy tale


Beastly by Alex Flinn
This is a modern day retelling of the fairytale Beauty and the Beast, told from the beasts' point of view.
Kyle Kingsbury has it all, he's rich, goodlooking, friends, hot girlfriend, smart, he goes to an elite prep school. He's quick to judge people on looks alone and gets caught playing an evil trick on the social outcast at school - Kendra. Little does he know that by treating Kendra as the butt of his joke he will be spending the rest of his days covered in fangs and fur. That is unless he can change his ways.
From the back cover:
A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright - a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever - ruined- unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly ... beastly.
I especially like the online chat group that the beast belongs to along with other cursed misfits from fairytales. I felt that this was a fun, light-hearted read, for some it maybe a bit too predictable, but really we all know that fairytales usually have a happy ending ; )

No comments: