About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Reading

The Houdini Box by Brian Selznick

I'm smitten with Brian Selznick's work, both as an author and an illustrator. Since my first introduction to his illustrative style in Ann M. Martin's, The Doll People right through to his most current work Wonderstruck, I have been enchanted with how he visually tells a story, as well as, when he writes  a story. Blending these two talents together in more than just a picture book fashion (32 pages) has been such a hit with readers at Lakie. Why I think it is a hit? I believe that some of us readers are better at interpreting visual clues and then making the inference with the verbal clues in the story. In other words the pictures help us understand the story. And Selznick is a master - it's a joy to uncover the clues in his pictures.
I guess it's no wonder that I searched out more of his titles this summer.
In The Houdini Box we are introduced to Victor a young boy who idolizes Harry Houdini. He tries to learn countless magic tricks to no avail - often with humourous bruising results. Then a chance meeting with the magician leads Victor on an unexpected journey.
I loved learning more about the magician Harry Houdini, I love the thought of a magic box that could transform Victor into the magician he dreamed of being. The black & white cross-hatched illustrations supported the story beautifully. And I appreciated the non-fiction content including a biography and magic trick at the end of the book.

I was delightfully surprized to find out that this book has been the inspiration of a children's play. Here's a preview of it.

No comments: