About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Reading

The Case of the Deadly Desperados by Caroline Lawrence

Sometimes when I'm choosing a book, I read the first sentence and if it grabs my attention, I'll check it out. Here's the first sentence -- "My name is P.K. Pinkerton and before this day is over I will be dead."  So that in combination with cover was enough to peak my interest. (And I seem to be on a western kick these days.) This book might be a bit of a gamble for some, but with short chapters, loads of action, fascinating characters - including our main character P.K. (who if you can imagine Sheldon from Big Bang Therory were twelve years old and living in the old west, a hilarious combination.) and guns being drawn just about every other chapter -- well then this should be your next book. It was loads of fun.

Here's the summary from the book jacket:
The year is 1862 and twelve-year-old P.K. Pinkerton is on the run from Whittlin Walt and his gang of ruthless desperados. P.K. is determined to hold on to his ma's last priceless possession: the deed to a large amount of land and silver mines in the Nevada Mountains. But this is the Wild West, and there's hardly a safe place to hide in Virginia City, an untamed mining town full of gamblers, hurdy girls and gunmen - all of them on the make! Relying on disguises will only keep P.K. hidden for so long as he works to outwit the outlaws who are quickly closing in...
At once thrilling, funny, and moving, this mystery adventure will keep readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page.

No comments: