About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer Reading

Ingo by Helen Dunmore

Here's a book that I've been meaning to read for years. Each year that I've been a school librarian I've had students say "I must read this book!" So I'm happy to say it made it's way to the top of the summer reading stack, and I was enchanted by the underwater world of Ingo. In fact the descriptions of Ingo and its inhabitants were by far my favourite parts of the story. I enjoyed how the story felt filled with an old mythology, one that I wasn't familiar with (maybe, this is because I didn't grow up next to an ocean), and yet had a present day believability.  Thank you to all of  those students who insisted that I read this one. I got totally caught up in the tantalizingly beautiful and dangerous world of adventure under the sea, where the Mer people live.

Summary:
I wish I was away in Ingo
Far across the biny sea,
Sailing over deepest waters
Where love nor care never trouble me...

By the Cornwall caost where Sapphire lives with her family, it's easy to hear the call of the sea. Too easy.
When the sea called to Sapphy's father, he vanished from her life. When the sea called to her brother, he started disappearing for hours on end. And now the sea is calling to Sapphy, and she feels its pull more strongly than she's ever felt anything in her life.
In a novel full of longing, mystery, and magic, Helen Dunmore takes us to a new world that has the power both to captivate and to destroy. At the waterline, the two worlds of Air and Ingo meet. Sapphy and her brother, Connor, find themselves at the boundary between these worlds, in a place of danger and amazing discoveries.

No comments: