About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Summer Reading

The Recruit by Robert Muchamore (#1 in the CHERUB series)

This has been highly recommended to me so many times that I brought it home with me for the summer and moved it to a much higher position on the To Be Read stack, and then brought it with me to the lake for more of my summer reading. I'm very glad I did all those things, because it didn't disappoint.
"What is CHERUB? -- During World War II, French civilians set up a reistance movement to fight against the German forces occupying their country. Many of their most useful operatives were children and teenagers. Some worked as scouts and messangers. Others befriended homesick German soldiers, gathering information that enabled the resistance to sabotage German military operations.
A British spy named Charles Henderson worked among these French children for nearly three years. After returning to Britain, he used what he'd learned in France to train twenty British boys to work on undercover operations. The codename for his unit was CHERUB.
Henderson died in 1946, but the organization he created has thrived. CHERUB now has more than two hundred and fifty agents, all aged seventeen or under. Although there have been many technical advances in intelligence operations since CHERUB was founded, the reason for its existence remains the same: adults never suspect that children are spying on them."

Our main character is twelve-year-old James Choke, who finds himself recently orphaned and forced to live in a Childrens Home. It is there that he is recruited to become part of CHERUB. First he'll have to undergo some pretty intense training before he ever ventures out on his first mission. Action-packed, thrilling, gritty, with a very real sense of teenagers (you know -- the kind that don't clean their rooms, play endless videogames, make crude jokes and occasionally go overboard when asked to vandalize something.)

Thanks to the students that recommended this one. It was very entertaining. I'm not sure I'll make it through the remaining 10 in the series, but I may try the pre-series The Henderson Boys.
If you loved The Recruit there are some great bonus stories at the CHERUB website-
http://www.cherubcampus.com/the%20recruit.htm

Read On!

No comments: