About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Kinetic Contraptions

Kinetic Contraptions : build a hovercaft, airboat, and more with a hobby motor by Curt Gabrielson

This book is chock full of cool projects, right away we wanted to build a hovercraft and the three wheeler car. I sent my husband off to find us a hobby motor (found one at Best Buy for $3.50), rounded up a paint stick, some rubberbands, a bulldog clip, the gluegun, and some connection wire and I think we're ready to create.
Things we both liked about the book:
 - simple materials that can be found around the house, everything from paperclips, paint sticks, and clothes pins to paperplates, empty pop bottles and corks.
- Black and white photos explaining the steps to take in contructing the contraption.
- The science behine what makes it work.
- The basics of how electricity works (my husband is an electrician and he thought some of his first year apprentices should have a look at this.)
- The projects are cool and once you've built one, you could easily disassemble it and build a different one.

Once we've got it up and running I will post some photos.
Read On

No comments: