About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Westing Game


The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

When Mrs. Babki asked me if I had read The Westing Game, I had to say no, because I hadn't, in fact I don't know if I had even heard of it. She said she was interested in it and that it sounded like the perfect book to introduce mystery / dectective / forensics to her grade six classes. Well, if they were going to tackle all that - maybe I should too.

It turned out to be a terrific mystery / guessing game filled with clues and red herrings (false clues) and some pretty interesting characters. I think it will be alot of fun.

Here's the summary:
This highly inventive mystery involves sixteen people who are invited to the reading of Samuel W. Westing's will. They could become millionaires - it all depends on how they play the tricky and dangerous Westing game, a game involving blizzards, buglaries and bombings . Ellen Raskin has created a cast of characters in a puzzle knotted, word twisting plot filled with humor, intrigue and suspence.

Apparently there has been a movie made - I have my name on the hold list at the public library. But I don't know if they can squeeze everything from that book into a movie. I'll report back whether it makes the cut.
Read On.

No comments: