About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Sparrow Hawk Red

Sparrow Hawk Red by Ben Mikaelsen

I just finished this book this morning. -- I have to admitt that I've been taking a break from some of my reading, and this week I finally dove back in and cranked off 3 under 200 page books.
So, if any of you grade six students have caught the flying bug after learning all about flight and then going up in the plane this year - this might be a great book for you, cause it's all about a kid who has been flying with his Dad, learning about planes and learning stunts.

Here's the summary:
When thirteen-year-old Ricky Diaz discovers that his mother was actually murdered by drug dealers, he's desperate for revenge. But his father, a former drug enforcement agent, refuses the mission the DEA now offers: to steal an airplane with an American made radar detector that the cartel uses to smuggle drugs from Mexico.
Angry with his father for throwing away the chance to avenge his mother,Ricky decides to take matters into his own hands - he will steal the plane. He runs away to Mexico, disguising himself as one of the many rateros, or homeless children in hopes of gaining access to the drug ring.

No comments: