About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Racing in the Rain


Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog by Garth Stein


Mr Meyer's suggested this book to me last year, and when I found that they had adapted the novel for a younger audience I thought I would pick it up for our collection at the school and also preview it for you. How can car racing, reincarnation and dogs all make it into the same book? that's what I was thinking. But after reading the first chapter told from Enzo the dogs point of view I came to understand how things were gonna fall into place -"Gestures are all I have - sometimes they must be grand in nature." This is an enjoyable read for any dog lover or fan of car racing, for those of you that love a plot driven book, this will move to slowly for you.


Here's the summary from the back cover:
Have you ever wondered what your dog is thinking?
Meet one funny dog - Enzo, the lovable mutt who tells this story. Enzo know he is different from the other dogs: most dogs love to chase cars, but Enzo longs to race them. He learns about racing and the world around him by watching TV and by listening to the words of his best friend, Denny, an up-and-coming race car driver, and his daughter, Zoe, his constant companion. Enzo finds that life is just like being on the racetrack - it isn't simply about going fast. And, applying the rules of racing to his world, Enzo takes on his family's challenges and emerges a hero. In the end, Enzo holds in his heart the dream that Denny will go on to be a racing champion with his daughter by his side. For thiers is an extraordinary friendship - one that reminds us all to celebrate the triumph of the human (and canine) spirit.


If you only read a couple of chapters I recommend chapter one (to get you familiarized with the characters) and chapter 25. I believe it has already been optioned for becoming a movie, so watch for it in a year or two.


Thanks Mr. Meyers it was a fun read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool... I enjoyed the adult version of the book after Mr. Meyers recommended it to me, and I'm glad to see they've come out with a version for teens!

-Mr. Newman