About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Short attention span








I haven't been posting much this last little while because I've had a million things buzzing around in my head, stuff about school and projects to finish up in June, projects to start next September, stuff at home, projects over the summer. Ideas, ideas and more ideas. So with all this going on I haven't really even been reading much - I'll start something but can't seem to finish it.
So with this in mind, I decieded that maybe the best thing would be to be reading graphic novels - they're quick, enjoyable and I need to be reviewing some for increasing our collection for next year.
Here's what I've been looking at.
Star Wars : Vector Vol. 1
Prince of Persia / John Mechner
100 Girls / Adam Gallardo
There's a hair in my dirt / Gary Larson
I have to say I liked them all but I'll give you the summary from Gary Larson's.
" Dirt for breakfast, dirt for lunch and dirt for dinner! Dirt, Dirt, dirt! --- and look now there's even a hair in my dirt! The final insult. I can't stand it any longer. I Hate Being a Worm!" it isn't easy being an earthworm, and when one little guy gets mad at a hair in his dinner, Father worm decides to tell him a story. What follows is an ecological fable that combines environmental lessons with the kind of off-the-wall humor that could only come from one man - Gary Larson.
Father worm tells the story of a beautiful but stupid maiden who frolics through the forest enjoying the beauty of nature , but completely fails to understand it. The young earthworm learns that nature is not a cute and cuddley theme park designed for the entertainment of stupid humans, but a complex, fragile and somewhat violent system where every creature plays a vital role - including the lowly earthworm.
Fans of the Farside this should be your next book report.
Read On

No comments: