About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tony Hawk: Professional Skateboarder



Tony Hawk: Professional Skateboarder by Tony Hawk and Sean Mortimer

There are many things I love about this book - but I'll start with the intro.

It wasn't always cool to be a skateboarder. Today, if you wear skate shoes and baggy pants, you look like most of the youth population. It's the "in" look. People of every age all over the world play skateboarding video games and know the name of complex skate tricks. If you turn on the TV there's a good chance you'll see skateboarding in a commercial or a contest. But back in the late 70's, when I started, skating was on it's way out. By the time I was obsessed with skateboarding, it was a geeky fad that only weirdos and nerds continued to do - at least that's what my schoolmates told me. I was used to hearing their taunts though. I was twelve and I was the only skater in my school....

Filled with dynamic photos from Tony's life, including embarrassing hairstyles of the past, this autobiography gives readers an inside look at how driven Tony Hawk was as a young competitor. I like how each new chapter heading is on a band-aid. Great read ! for those non-fiction / skate fans.

Read On

No comments: