About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Reading has officially begun

The Last Musketeer by Stuart Gibbs
Summary:
On the first day of a family trip to Paris, Greg Rich's parents disappear. They're not just missing from the city -- they're missing from the "century." So Greg does what any kid will do: he travels through time to rescue them.
Greg soon finds out that his family history is tied to the legendary Three Musketeers. But when he meets them, they're kids his age , and they'll only live long enough to become true heroes if he can save them. To rescue his parents, Greg must assume the identity of a young Musketeer in training and unite Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan -- but a powerful enemy is doing everything possible to stop him from succeeding.


I love it when a book has a great first sentence that makes you want to keep reading. This book had it, I was also intrigued with the reinvention of The Three Musketeer's story, and although I'm not a huge time travel fan, it worked for this story. I enjoyed how Greg struggled with some of the more descriptive and challenging aspects of history - scratchy clothes, travel by foot or horse and worst of all the smells of sewage everywhere.

No comments: