About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

I want to say I really liked this one, but unfortunately I just didn't. Book two in the Divergent series, reads like a roller-coaster - crazy twists and turns, unexpected dives and a rocketing pace - but at times the ride was going to fast for this reader and I felt lost. I think this can be explained in a couple of ways ; firstly it had been awhile since I had read Divergent, so it wasn't really fresh in my memory where things left off ; secondly I felt that some of the characters lacked development, so much so that they were easily confused with characters from other factions ; and finally I felt that it was too violent. I did keep reading and the ending probably made it worth it and had enough of a hook to make me want to read the third book when it comes out.

Here's the summary from the book jacket:
One choice can transform you - or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves - and herself - while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and lyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable - and  even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guiltm raducak bew discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Book trailer:

No comments: