About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I have just finished Divergent which Lakie readers have been insisting I read - and I can see why, it's a dystopian future book, it has a lot of action, a little romance, a crazy bad guy, an oppressive government, survival in a harsh world. What's not to like? right?
Well, at times I felt things were too similiar to other books I've read, and when I read the author interview and her influences I thought to myself , oh yeah I can see that. But for those of you who maybe aren't as wide reading as me, this might be your next favourite.

I liked this review from The Guardian, it sums it up nicely.
"Close your eyes and picture this: you are sixteen years old and about to make the biggest choice of your life.You've grown up in a faction that values a particular trait Abnegation (selflessness), Candor (honesty), Amity (kindness), Dauntless (bravery) or Erudite (knowledge seeking). You could choose to stay with your parents and the place you know or you could strike out into a new faction, but beware , once you've made that decision there's no going back.
This is Beatrice's story, an Abnegation girl who is conflicted about which faction to join. On one hand she feels that she has never truely belonged in Abnegation, but on the other she doesn't want to betray her family. Her decision is made more difficult by the knowledge that she is not like most people: she is Divergent. Once in her chosen faction Beatrice must absorb the culture shocks and keep her wits about her if she is to survive as failing the initiation will render her factionless and an outcast of society. Meanwhile, government troubles are brewing and Beatrice's world is about to turn upside down."

Book Trailer.

No comments: