About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant DA's son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidentally poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly Anya finds herself thrusts unwillingly into the spotlight - at school, in the news, and most importantly within her mafia family.

I've enjoyed all of Gabrielle Zevin's books so far, so I was not disappointed with this one either. I quickly fell into liking the character Anya and her family, I love the Romeo / Juliet concept of forbidden love - and family duty, I liked the dystopian future ideas although I think that they could have been elaborated on. So I'd probably give it 4/5 on the readability scale - unfortunately I think they've talked Gabrielle into making this a series, when it really is a great stand alone story.
I think lots of you will enjoy it.
REad On

No comments: