About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Foiled


Foiled by Jane Yolen
Yesterday I had the terrific surprize of receiving what will probably be my last shipment of books for the year, waiting for me on my desk. I dove into those boxes like a kid at Christmas.
Boy, do i have some summer reading ahead of me. I started last night with this graphic novel.
Aliera Carstairs just doesn't fit in. She's always front and centre at the fencing gym, but at school she's invisible. And she's fine with that... until Avery Castle walks into her first period biology class. Avery may seem perfect now, but will he end up becoming her Prince Charming or just a toad?
I enjoyed this flight of modern urban fantasy, from the chapter headings which are fencing moves, to the gray-scale artwork (which you learn has a significance later in the book), the artwork is manga-esque and I thought the illustrator Mike Cavallaro did an excellent job of showing Aliera's emotions, with just a slight dip of the brow or flick to the smile, to the sharp teeth she shows when angry. Jane Yolen has written hundreds of books and for her first venture into graphic novels, I think this one (and it is set up to have a sequel) will become a hit with readers.
Read On

No comments: