About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bog Child



Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

This book totally got me caught up in it. I got caught up by the many differnent strands of it, the bog child (herself), then tensions in Ireland, with its hunger strikers, the friendship of Fergus and a young police officer from Wales, the budding romance between Fergus and Cora (the archeaologist's daughter), a family that is being torn apart by its involvement with the IRA.

Here's the summary from the cover:
In 1981, the height of Irelands "Troubles", eighteen year old Fergus is distracted from his upcoming A-level exams by his imprisoned brothers hunger strike, the stress of being a courier for Sinn Fein, and of a murdered girl whose body he discovered in a bog.

This is a sophisicated mystery, that once it grabs you won't let go.
Read On

No comments: