About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Also Known As Harper



Also Known As Harper by Ann Haywood Leal


from page 91. -
Lately I've been wondering what it would be like
To keep all my words inside.
I wonder if they'd come out another way.
Through my pen maybe
Or through a piece of chalk on the sidewalk.
It could actually be safer that way.
The words couldn't hurt anyone.
You could take back all the wrong ones.
You'd just crumple up the paper or
Wait for the rain.


That was a random page opening, I hope the rest will be as terrific. Here's the book summary:

Harper is an aspiring poet, which isn't surprising, seeing as how she's named after her mama's favourite writer, Harper Lee. And life is giving her a lot to write about just now. Daddy up and walked out, leaving them with too many bills and too little money. Then Harper's family gets evicted and has to move into the Knotty Pine Deluxe Motor Hotel, which is not nearly as nice as it sounds.

With Mama scrambling to make ends meet, Harper has to stay home from school to take care of her little brother, Hemingway. Their whole world has been turned upside down, which Harper could just about handle - if it wasn't for the poetry contest at school. More than anything, she wants to get up on that stage and read her poems out loud...


If you liked How to Steal a Dog you might also like Also Known As Harper.

No comments: