About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, January 4, 2010

The Maze Runner


The Maze Runner by James Dashner
As you can see from my last post this was one of my favourites but I didn't get a chance to blog about it before we left for the break. So here goes...
Exciting, riveting, face-paced, curious these are all ways I would describe this book. The story centers around Thomas, a young man who arrives to a strange new world inhabited by a group of teenage guys. The glade is what they call the place and it is surrounded by sky-high walls with four openings leading out into a mysterious maze that changes everyday. The boys including Thomas have all had theirs memories wiped out and exist in a crude almost primative way, with most doing boring jobs - except for an elite group that goes out into the maze everyday trying to map and make sense of the maze, figuring that if they can solve it they can return home.
Life of the glade is changed the day after Thomas arrives and for the first time a girl is sent along with the message that she is the last thing to be sent. The pace of the story and the intensity just climbs and climbs from this point on.
This is the first book in what will be a trilogy. So here's hoping that book two will make its way to us in 2010.
Here's the book trailer-

No comments: