About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This book is not at all like me, but I tried it anyway


Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

First off you should know, I am a big advocate for peace and so for me to pick up this book was a huge step outside of what I normally read. I did my best not to bring my preconceived ideas with me as I began this novel which is about the current war in Iraq. (And I'll admit that some of the reason for bringing this book home with me was, that I have so many guys asking me for a good war book all the time I figured that I better read one so I have something to tell them about.)

Robin (who's nickname is Birdy) after graduating from high school in 2002 has entered the US army against the wishes of his parents. Before Robin really knows what's happening he finds himself in the hot desert landscapes of Kuwait and Iraq. Robin has been assigned to the Civil Affairs unit -the team that goes in after the bombs and shooting are over, to smooth things over with the Iraqi people. Robin soon learns that this is easier said than done, and that the training they've been given back home in the States has little to do with how things operate in Iraq.
Myer's does a convincing job of portraying the everyday existence of today's soldiers - the job can be exciting, scary, boring, and mostly filled with uncertainty. I really liked how he told the back story of how these young men and women thought the war would be over in a couple of months, and how they all at some time end up questioning what they are really doing in Iraq and for Iraq. I also thought there were enough Humvee rides and action to keep the interest of young adult readers.
I'm sorry to say that I didn't have a chance to finish the book (made it about half way), I ended up book talking it on Monday and had a student hooked, what could I do? - I loaned him my copy. Maybe when it comes back, I'll finish it up.
Till Next Time
Read on

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. F!
Thanks for the comments on my blog...I really like you and I need to visit with you more often! The other thing I need to do more often is READ!
Love Mrs. V