About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Summer Reading

Paint the Wind by Pam Munoz Ryan

As a kid growing up I had a long list of my favourite horse stories. It included titles like The Black Stallion, Misty of Chincoteahue, My Friend Flicka and Smokey the Cow horse along with others. I also grew up riding a horse most every day during the summer and at one point in time I think our family had a remuda of around 30+ horses. So it was with great pleasure that I picked up Paint the Wind and was transported to a familiar, wonderful place, filled with the great outdoors and the wonder that can fill a person up by being on the back of a horse.
If your a horse lover, this should definately be your next good read. Even if your not a horse lover - I still think this book has lots to offer. It has earned it way into my favourite horse stories list**

Summary from back cover:
Maya lives like a captive. At Grandmother's house in California, everything is forbidden: friends, fun, even memories. and her life is built on lies Grandmother tells her about her dead mother, lies Maya tells to impress or manipulate. But then she moves to the vast Wyoming wilderness where her mother's family awaits - kind, rugged people who value independence and have no tolerance for lies. They challenge Maya to confront the truth about who she is. And a mysterious mustang called Artemisia waits, too. She holds the kiey to Maya's freedom. But to find it, Maya will have to risk everything ... including her life.

No comments: