About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer reading



Oh, Rats! ; the story of rats and people by Albert Marrin

Those of us that live in Alberta don't really know the problem with rats - the Alberta Department of Agriculture has enforced a strick rat control since the 1950's. It wasn't until my first trip to Europe, staying with a friend in an apartment that was built in the 1500's that I came across my first rat. OMG! these things are huge! and scary! and ugly!, So it was with some trepidation that I took home Oh, Rats! the story of rats and people. In the end I was rewarded with a fascinating book that reveals tons of details about the rat and its relationship with humans.
Here's the summary:
Able to claw straight up a brick wall, squeeze through a pipe the size of a quarter, gnaw through iron and concrete, rats are also revealed in this fascinating book to be incredibly intelligent and capable of great compassion. Weaving science, history, culture, and folklore, awarding winning author Albert Marrin offers a look at rats that goes from curious to replusive, horrifying to comic, fearsome to inspiring. Arresting black and white scratchboard illustrations with bold red accents add visual punch to this study of a creature that has annoyed, disgusted, nourished and intrigued its human neighbours throughout the centuries.

No comments: