About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Crazy Man

The Crazy Man by Pamela Porter

I wanted to revisit this gem of a book, it left me hungry for the hot, dry days of summer, with crickets chirping, winds making the fields of wheat move as if in choreographed wave, and a simplier time.

Here's the summary:
In 1965, twelve year old Emaline , living on a wheat farm, must deal with a family that is falling apart. When her dog Prince, chases a hare into the path of the tractor, she chases after him, and her father accidently runs over her leg, leaving her with a long recovery and a permanent disability. Even worse, from Emaline's point of view, is that in his grief and guilt, her father shoots Prince and leaves Emaline and her mother on their own.

This is a novel written in verse, so it reads very quickly, it's a touching story and will make you think about how times and values have changed.
Here's my favourite passage.
"Heard coyotes in the night
from my open window.
Far away.
One pack calling,
another answering.
Young ones yipping
along with deeper voices.
Smell of wood smoke
on the night air.
A full moon.
Their high whines.
Their wild choir.

It's like I'm standing right there next to Emaline, hearing and feeling everything she is. Now that's good writing.
If you enjoyed The Crazy Man you might want to try reading Karen Hesse's - Out of the Dust.
Read On

No comments: