About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Best Friends Forever

Best Friends Forever: a World War II Scrapbook by Beverly Patt

Best Friends Forever tells the story of 14 year old Japanese American Dottie Masuoka and Louise Krueger  as their lives and friendship must change with the internment of all Japanese American during World War II. Louise starts a scrapbook, documenting events that have happened with the intent of sharing it with Dottie when she returns.
I think those of you who enjoy historical fiction or enjoy a mixed media sort of book will breeze through this one.
Things I liked: the scrapbook format, the newspaper clippings and advertising promos of the time, the different fonts used to indentify the girls.
Things I didn't like: I wish it were a Canadian book, I didn't like how open ended it was - is this the first installment of a series?, and of course at the end of the book there is the statement "Three days after Pearl Harbour, Germany and Italy declared war on the US as well. World War II had begun."

No comments: