About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Close to Famous

Close to Famous by Joan Bauer

If you've ever taken part in one of my book talks you'll know I often describe books as "yummy", well this book was "yummy beyone belief." I think I ate it up just like the cupcakes that Foster makes. Delicous! Mmmm Mmmmm.
Here's some of my favourite quotes from the book.
"You don't know the power of a cupcake until your life depends on it."
"The smartest thing I ever did in sixth grade was give Mrs. Ritter a cupcake. I think it might be why I passed sixth grade."
"When you're going through a tough spell, it's easy to think that's all your life is about. You forget the good things, forget the quiet places. But they're always inside of us and we can pull them up when we need to set ourselves right. I think that's why why pop fished. It just set him right."

Summary:
When you've been chased out of Memphis by a scary Elvis impersonator and endu p in the tiny town of Culpepper, where nothing much seems to happen, it's hard to hold onto a big dream. And Foster has a really big dream: one day she hopes to have her own TV cooking show like her idol, Sonny Kroll. Meanwhile, she'll keep on doing what she does best - baking.
Soon Foster discovers she's not the only one in Culpepper with a dream of fame. Macon desperately wants to make documentary films, Miss Charleena longs to return in triumph to Hollywood, and Foster's mother hopes to be a headliner instead of a backup singer.
Meanwhile, Culpepper seems to provide a safe haven. But Foster and her mother can't hide forever.
Read On.

No comments: