About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Notes from the dog

Notes From the Dog by Gary Paulsen

Fourteen-year-old Finn is a loner who lives with his dad and his amazing dog, Dylan. He's hoping to land a summer job where he doesn't have to talk to anyone except his pal, Matthew. Then Johanna moves in next door. She's ten years older, cool funny and she treats Finn as an equal. Dylan loves her, too. But Johanna is ill, and Matthew and Finn learn to care for her emotionally and physically. When she hires Finn to create a garden, his ideas backfire comically. but Johanna and the garden help Finn discover a talent for connecting with people he never knew he possessed.

I liked this book, unfortunately I didn't feel that there was enough character development - I didn't feel like Finn and Matthew acted fourteen-year-old's I know. I felt for Johanna, but again Paulsen could have added alot more to give her and the fact that she has cancer at such a young age some real significance. In other words I probably could have loved this book - instead I just kinda like it.

No comments: