About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Word Nerd


Word Nerd by Susin Nielsen
This is one of the books I read over the break, and not being a scramble player I wasn't sure if I would really like this story (I had some good reviews from kids at school) and I was happily surprised with how much I liked the book.
Here's the summary:
Twelve-year-old Ambrose is a glass-half-full kind of guy. A self-described "friendless nerd" he moves from place to place with his overprotective mother -Irene. When some bullies at his new school almost kill him by slipping a peanut into his sandwich - even though they know he has a deathly allergy. Ambrose is philosophical, Irene, however, is not and decides that Ambrose will be home-schooled. While she's away at work during the evenings Ambrose becomes friends with 25 year old Cosmo the ex-con son of their upstairs landlords.
Fun, funny and a scrambled story of friendship, family and acceptance.

No comments: