About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Children of the Longhouse


Children of the Longhouse by Joseph Bruchac

Joseph Bruchac is one of my many favourite authors and once again I enjoyed one of his books. This time travelling back in history to about 1493, set after the founding of the Iroqois Confederacy and before the arrival of European settlers. I enjoyed how many native american teachings were interwoven into this book, and I think it would make a great story to be read aloud or done as a novel study for Grade six because it has a terrific tie in with the Social Studies curriculum and explains the traditions and layout of the longhouse in a way that can be visualized.

Summary- When Ohkwa'ri overhears a group of older boys planning a raid on a neighbouring village, he immediately tells his Mohawk elders. Has he done the right thing? but he has also made enemies. Grabber and his friends will do anything they can to hurt him, especially during the village-wide game of Tekwarrathon (lacrosse). Ohkwa'ri believes in the path of peace, but can peaceful ways work against Grabber's wrath?

No comments: