About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Cool new hockey books


Xtreme Hockey by Stephen Cole
Wow! What a cool book. The back cover raves that Hockey has never been so Xtreme, and with info on the fastest player, hardest hitters, greatest goals, vilest villains, rowdiest fan and worst injuries - I found that it did live up to all this. I learned tons of crazy facts - from where hockey originated to the injuries goalies sustained before they wore masks ("Once, a player stepped on his unmasked face with the sharp blade of a skate. Afterward, Glen could stick out his tongue through his cheek). Gross I know, but tidbits like this will definitely grab some of the hockey crazed that Lakie has. There was other cool stuff like how to throw an octopus if your at a Detroit game, and loads of stats through the years. The information is contained in very short snippets and complimented with loads of photos.
My other new hockey book is Hockey Superstars 2008-2009 by Paul Romanuk. This book features 17 of today's best players. It too is bound to be popular.
I might not be the biggest hockey fan, but I learned lots from both these books and feel I could shout a little louder at the next hockey game I go to.

No comments: