About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dog sense



Dog sense by Sneed B. Collard III





This was one of the books I picked up at the K-9 conference I was at. So I thought it appropriate that I read the canine book.


Dog sense is the story of Guy Martinez who has recently moved to Montana from California (and life sucks, until the day he gets to choose a dog from the SPCA - enter Streak the border collie). The first day of school he makes his first enemy, school bully Brad Mullen and his first friend Luke Grant. Guy's relationship intensifies with both these characters through his dog Streak. Luke encourages Guy to enter Streak in the town Fair's Frisbee-catching competition. This also happens to be Brad Mullen's main event. The rivalry between Guy and Brad escalates until an impulsive wager pits the boys head-to-head and places Streak in jeopardy.

Although I found some of the characters to be stereotypical, I found the dialogue (especially Grandpa) to be well done. I learned stuff about a sport I never would have known and this is always a good thing. Having been around border collies in my life, I thought that Collard did a great job of explaining their intense personalities that are in constant need of challenging.

Read on

No comments: