About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's your savvy?

From the cover.
For generations, the Beaumont family has harbored a magical secret. They each possess a "savvy" — a special supernatural power that strikes when they turn thirteen. Grandpa Bomba moves mountains, her older brothers create hurricanes and spark electricity... and now it's the eve of Mibs's big day.
As if waiting weren't hard enough, the family gets scary news two days before Mibs's birthday: Poppa has been in a terrible accident. Mibs develops the singular mission to get to the hospital and prove that her new power can save her dad. So she sneaks onto a salesman's bus... only to find the bus heading in the opposite direction. Suddenly Mibs finds herself on an unforgettable odyssey that will force her to make sense of growing up — and of other people, who might also have a few secrets hidden just beneath the skin.
I soooo enjoyed this, the well crafted if somewhat wacky characters, the tall tale adventure, the wonderful savvy Mibs is given and how it presents itself are all unforgettable (it made me kind of glad I don't have a tattoo ;-). I felt part of the team on that bumpy pink bus ride, wondering what my savvy was and if I could guess what yours might be.
"But as I grew up, I began to understand that a savvy is just a know-how of a different sort."
"In most ways, Mibs, we Beaumonts are just like other people, we get born, and sometime later we die. And in between, we're happy and sad, we feel love and we feel fear, we eat and we sleep and we hurt like everyone else."
Wonderfully odd, no wonder this book (the authors first - wow!) has already been optioned for a movie. Check out the book trailer on youtube or visit the authors website http://www.ingridlaw.com/ for more about this great book.
Don't miss this one!!
Read on

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Anonymous said...

My friend said that's just dandy!