About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Art break



3-D ABC ; a sculptural alphabet by Bob Raczka

Today I was busy cataloguing more of the new books, but took a moment to read through this book. I loved it!

Bob Raczka has done it again, pairing beautiful pieces of art - this time sculptures and wonderfully simple wording to help explain or get us thinking about what art means to us. This time he also cleverly uses the alphabet to move from piece to piece. Each sculpture is given full credit to who created it, where it is housed and what it is made from.

Readers will learn about contemporary sculpture, he covers everything from various sculptural styles (kinetic, relief, ready-made) to sculpting materials (metal, old car parts, light, etc.).

I'm having a hard time picking a favourite, but tonight I'd have to say it's the letters K & L - the sculptures are The Kiss and LOVE. Tomorrow who knows I might pick a totally different one , that's the great thing about art- it kinda depends on your mood.

I love books like this, i may never get to see these sculptures up close but now I know more about them and I'm inspired to visit the sculptures that I have access to here in Alberta.

Read on

No comments: