About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Warning don't start this book if you have homework you should be doing or if you've got other important stuff you have on the go - because you won't be able to put it down.


I started this book on Tuesday morning before I came to work, and I seriously thought about skipping work for the day so that I could finish it. I went to work, but the moment I got home, I immediately pickup it up and didn't stop reading till I finished.


Wow! What a book. What a trill ride.

Time: The future

Setting: The nation of Panem (what used to be North America)

Characters: 16 year-old Katniss Everdeen

16 year-old Peeta

old - Haymitch


In this futuristic world of Panem, a land made up of thirteen colonies (but really only twelve, the capitol blew up the thirteenth when they tried to rebel). Each year the Hunger Game is played.

Every district holds a lottery with the names of all those aged between twelve and eighteen - a boy and a girl are chosen to play in the Hunger Game.


What's the Hunger Game? It's a reality tv "survivor" like game with one small twist. This game is played to the death. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. There is only one person left standing at the end of the Hunger Game - or is this years' game in for a change.


Have I got your interest? Cause this is one you really don't want to miss out on.

Read On

No comments: