About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Story collections


Right now in our library there is a large display of Octoberish books. All have the common theme of - the creep factor, whether it be ghosts, goblins, halloween, or paranormal. I have a few new suggestions to be added to the display. Good scary titles to make your spine tingle.

All Hallows' Eve 13 stories by Vivian Vande Velde
As some of you know, I'm a spineless wimp went it comes to horror stories, I made it through the first three stories in this book and I had to quit, it was gonna give me nightmares for sure.




666 The Number of the Beast : Stories of Horror
From the back cover-
Tales of evil. Tales of darkness. Tales of beasts.
There's the ...
Vampire who visits the same girl every night.
Dangerous rumor that turns all too deadly.
Zombie who couldn't look more innocent.
Boarding school plagued by a tortured ghost.
And so much more in this spine-tingling, bone-chilling collection of 18 stories from 18 masters of horror.




So lock the door. Turn on the lights. Don't answer the phone. And open this book ... if you dare...





Oddest of All : Nine odd stories by Bruce Coville


Started this one this morning and loved the weird, odd factor. It reminded me of the Twilight Zone my favourite tv show when I was in senior high. I might save this one for read alouds.





The Dark Side : truly terrifying tales / chosen by Susan Price

From the back cover.
Sure to leave your skin crawling with fear, this chilling collection of horror stories will get your heart racing and goose bumps popping. Twenty-four terrifying tales by such authors as Charles Dickens, Stephen King, and Edgar Allen Poe are sure to haunt even the bravest of readers.






The Curse of the Campfire Weenies and other warped and creepy tales by David Lubar


I love David Lubar, I think he's funny, quick and clever. So it's no wonder I picked up two copies of this one. Delicously silly and at the same time macabre. Can't wait to dive into this one.












Beastly Rhymes to read after dark by Judy Sierra
I'll share one.
Never Bully a Bug
Young William was not nice to bugs,
Or bees, or centipedes, or slugs.
He'd poke, and pull, and squeeze, and tweak
And laugh because they were so weak.
Young William never realized
The tiny mites he victimized
Had cousins that were giant-sized.
One day, while walking down the stair,
Young William met a bumblebear.
The bumblebear packed quite a sting,
But when a beast more frightening -
A stomping-mad rhinocepede-
Came hurtling toward him at top speed,
Young William, feeling far less smug,
Collided with a hipposlug,
And disappeared in one slow g-l-u-g.

No comments: