About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Summer reading part 2



Well as you can tell, I'm kinda liking this idea of blogging and I've been doing a fair amount of summer reading so here's part two (or otherwise known as what I read yesterday). So from one of the reading lists from the PNLA conference (I want that one book: Teen lit to reel them in) was the graphic novel Aya by Marguerite Abouet. As the book jacket says "It's a book about what goes on in the minds of teenage girls" with these teenage girls living in the shanty town called Yopugon within the larger city of Abidjan in the country of Ivory Coast. There's dancing, boys, lots of flirting and of course some of the turmoil of growing up (grade 8+)I enjoyed both the story and thought the drawings depicted the characters and setting with a lot of humor and accuracy.




Black Duck by Janet Taylor Lisle - wowed me, I couldn't put it down, I just couldn't stop - I had stuff to do, but it just kept luring me back to read the next chapter and then the next. This is the story of Ruben and Jeddie best friends and how rum running during the prohibition years changed their friendship, their community, and their lives. It all starts with the day they find a dead body.


I can't wait to tell more about this one in a book talk.
Ms. Fisch


No comments: