About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Brain science in one quick short lesson



Phineas Gage: A gruesome but true story about Brain Science by John Fleischman. I didn't think I could learn so much about the brain and the introduction brain science in such a concise and short book, but then I didn't anticipate such a compelling story as that of Phineas Gage.

Phineas worked as a railroad foreman in 1848, he had a good rapport with the men he worked with and the tools of his trade included a 3 foot long steel tamping rod and gun powder for blasting rock. His life changed the day that 3 foot steel rod blasted under his cheek bone and right up through the top of his head. Miraculously Phineas lived for another eleven years, the most noticeable effects on him were changes in his personality.

I found many parts of this story of interest, from where medical science was at during the late 1800's, to the many functions our brains are always working at, and how brain injuries effect a persons character. Fascinating read, lots of pictures help the text along and a valuable glossary for further interest.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Ms Fischbuch
I like your blog very much. Phineas Gage has caught my attention, only because of your review. I like Science and what happens to Phineas sounds interesting. If I had just seen the cover of this book I would not have read it ugh! I will read this book because you made it sound good.
Thank you

Missy