About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rave reviews for Little Brother


Little brother by Cory Doctorow is recieving all kinds of rave reviews, like this one by Spider Robinson from the Globe and Mail (Aug. 9, 2008).

"If you only read one science fiction novel this year, let it be this one. If you've never read SF in your life, now is the time to correct that virginity. If you have a family member or friend between 6 and 25 who likes to read, this is the book to give him or her this year. Readers from 26 to 80 will also have a wonderful time - but it's the young ones who need to read this book, and the rest of us need them to do it.... Little brother is a most satisfactory coming of age story, a political awakening story, a sweet but hip love story handled by an expert. It gives me renewed hope for the future of science fiction and of the world"
From the book jacket:
Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

I'm not going to gush to the same degree as the Globe and Mail's reviewer did, but I was thoroughly entertained by this book. I felt compelled by the character of Marcus, I got lost a little in the technical computer language that ran through the book (but I think any tech savy teen would know exactly what it all meant), and I definately loved the premise of this alternative take on George Orwell's 1984. And I'm happy to say that Cory Doctorow is a Canadian. We need more writers like him - that captivate, challenge and inspire teen readers.
Read on

1 comment:

sparky said...

Ms Fish, for the record I hate sci-fi, outer space and aliens are a no-go for me. Your review does sound interesting though. If this book is as good as you say it then I will be definatly reading this before the Christmas break. Please keep reviewing books I need all the help that I can get choosing books.