About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Things not seen


Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements
Thank you to Mr. Newman for recommending this book to me. It just recently came back into the library and I felt so strongly about it that I felt I should include it in my blog - even though I read it awhile ago. (Last year I read it aloud to a group of grade 7's- and although it took us a long time to get through it, I think we all felt it was worth while).
What would you do if one morning you woke up invisible? Well that is exactly what has happened to Bobby. I know your thinking this is stupid and could never happen, well that's pretty much how Bobby feels too. And even though the premise of this book is highly unlikely, it's told in such a way that you can't help but wonder if such things are possible. Sure being invisible would be cool for awhile, but it also has its complications, and what if you really want your old life back, what then?
This was an awesome story.
From the back cover:
It's a Tuesday morning in February, and I get up as usual, and I stumble into the bathroom to take a shower in the dark. Which is my school-day method because it's sort of like an extra ten minutes of sleep.
It's after the shower. That's when it happens.
It's when I turn on the bathroom light and wipe the fog off the mirror to comb my hair. It's what I see in the mirror. It's what I don't see.
I look a second time, and then rub at the mirror again.
I'm not there.
That's what I'm saying.
I'm. Not. There.

No comments: