About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The search for Wondla


The Search For Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi
Eva Nine had never seen the actual sun before, or walked outdoors. In fact, she had never even seen another living person in all twelve years of her life. That changes when a marauding huntsman destroys her underground home and sends her fleeing for her life. She is desperate to find someone else who is like her, and a single clue gives her hope: a crumbling picture of a girl, a robot, an adult, and the word WONDLA.
The search for Wondla begins a trilogy whose imaginative text and breathtaking illustrations are sure to inspire dreams.
This book has been reminding me of bits and pieces of Star Wars, weird creatures that look like bugs, robots, a girl with Princess Leah hair - and then there are pieces of Lord of the Rings - moving, talking forests. It kind of seemed like I had read this somewhere before. I'm left wishing I could say I loved it, but I kind of just put up with it. The are work was beautiful and very in keeping with the original illustrations of The Wizard of Oz - tone on tone. And if you visit the website Wondla.com you can use the book to make the maps and story come to 3D life (kind of cool). I'm never a huge fan of fantasy, so maybe this is why I wasn't totally hooked by this one. But I hope for some of you, you won't be put off by my review and will try it for yourselves.
Here's the book trailer.

No comments: