About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Winter break reading

Toby Wheelr: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer by Thatcher Heldring

Toby Wheeler love basketball and playing pickup games at the local rec centre with his best friend, JJ, at his side. But lately JJ's been acting like he's too busy for Toby, and Toby knows it will only get worse once basketball season begins at their junior high. That's because JJ's the star of their school team, while Toby is just an ordinary gym rat.

When Coach Applewhite offers Toby a chance to join the team, Toby's eager to prove he can keep up with JJ. But practice doesn't go quite as Toby planned, and when the coach announces the lineup, Toby's hopes of playing ball with JJ are history: he's an eighth-grade benchwarmer! Befriending the coach's daughter only make matters worse. Now the only way Toby will get in the game is if he starts thinking like a team player, on and off the court. (From the back cover)

Well, as many of you know I'm kind of short and I never really cared for basketball, but I continue to try and understand what a pic-and-roll might be. I know Lakie has some fabulous B-Ball players so, if you love sports and need something for that next book report, this was an easy read with plenty of good basketball action. I liked the story of how Toby and JJ's friendship was put under pressure from basketball and how they kind of got over that hump. The side story of Toby's family was lacking and unnecessary.

No comments: