About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

WELCOME TO 2009

Hi,

Well the tally has been done, I read 134 books in 2008. If i stopped reading the Saturday paper I think I could easily take it up by another 30. Well we'll see what 2009 will hold.

So I thought I'd create a little best of 2008 list.
Top Five Fave Fiction:
#5 -- Life as we knew it by Susan Pfeffer
#4 -- Savvy by Ingrid Law
#3 -- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
#2 -- Black Duck by Janet Lisle
#1 -- Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Of course I have some honorable mentions - The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor, The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie, Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis, and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Graphic Novel favorites included: Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale, Dark Wraith of Shannara by Terry Brooks, and The Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan.

I hope some of you will share what your favourites from last year were. I think the obvious choice will be The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers.

Read on in 2009

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

my book was Dead is the New Black, it had a very good story that made me finish it in one night it was quite intriging and I really enjoyed. I can't find it by the way even though it says it's in.

Anonymous said...

King Dork

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that the Twilight series (of course) was one of the most amazing books I have read in a while. Just the writing was amazing and it had me addicted for a long time. I still re-read them constantly at night.

Anonymous said...

Thirteen reasons why is a really good book

Anonymous said...

My favourite books of 2008 are the The Quillian Games which is part of the Pendragon series. It is a page flipper with cliff hangers in every chapter, it makes you want to keep reading. If you like Airplanes you will like a non fiction book called First to Fly How Wilbur and Orville Invented the Air Plane. It is a great book with lots of facts and it is a really short read only 28 pages but you will learn tons on every page.

Anonymous said...

the quillan games is my pick its the 8th book in the pendragon and its above and more my fav its got action tragity* and most of all death woot if you guys ever read the pendragon series read quickly and get to this book tata for now

Anonymous said...

my book is The Mistmantle Chronicles: Urchin of the Riding Stars. It was great, anyone who likes animal books crossed with mystery should read this book!

Anonymous said...

My book is EIGHTH GRADE BITES it's a book about a guy named vlad who is a vampire. I'm not done all of the book but I no the main story but I'm not going to tell you.! !
0
=)

Anonymous said...

*Mango shaped space
*twilight series
*theories of relativity
*jeremy fink and the meaning of life
*the host
*Marley and me
*no place like home
*Rash
*flowers in the attic
*deaf child crossing
*Two little girls in blue
And alot more

Anonymous said...

Avery 7 C
Crazy MAN, BECAUSE IT WAS BOTH A SAD AND HAPPY STORY.

Anonymous said...

I think that all sport novels are awesome they have potential advice and are great for people that love sports.

Anonymous said...

Jocelynn.A


i think the best book i read in 2008 was theres a girl in my hammerlock its a real page fliper and theres lots of excite ment i think i read it in 1 hour it was that good

Anonymous said...

A couple of my favorite books are:
Dragon Slippers,
Fever 1793,
The People of Sparks,
Twilight saga,
The White Giraffe,
The Theif Lord.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book of 08 was Inkdeath

Anonymous said...

#3 -- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Totally agreeable .
maybe even a little higher , :D

Anonymous said...

Mine are
*Twilight
*Harry Potter
*13reasons Why
*Romeo and Juliet
*Tale of Two Cities