About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Best book of July



The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

This has to be my choice for the best book of July (there has been 12 to choose from - some of them adult books which don't usually make it to the blog.)

Eli was nine, when his world was suddenly changed by the closing of the silver door, that kept he and his family safe from the fall out of the nuclear war. His father wealthy techno billionaire has planned well for such an event - except it didn't do much good for Eddie (Eli's twin) or gram, who didn't make it to the shelter in time. Now seven years after that silver door closed, things in the compound are starting to go wrong, food supply is running short, tension with his parents and sisters is raging. Eli who has distanced himself from everyone and everything finds himself discovering a connection to the outside world that raises questions about the very world he knows and the people he thought he could trust. Secrets, sabatoge, abound in this mysterious world underground called the compound, will Eli have what it takes to escape the silver door? What world is left beyond it?

You'll have to read on to find out.

Once again a dystopian future book has grabbed my attention, and I have to admit that I also checked out the audio version of this too (which was really well done.) I was telling my nephews about it and they were all ears begging me to give away the ending. If there is one book I'm raving about this July it's The Compound.



No comments: