About Me

I'm the school librarian at G.S. Lakie Middle School. As you can see - me, reading and comfy chairs go way back. I still enjoy Asterix and many other graphic novels. My main reason for blogging is for reviewing books for the students and anyone else that might be interested in YA literature.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Newbery Winner



The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Well your looking at this years Newbery Award Winner,

I forgot I had an advanced reader copy of this one, so I picked it up again and read it this weekend. I have to say it wouldn't have been my pick, my pick would have been Savvy (which did end up being a honour book for 2009).

I love a good first sentence, followed by a good first paragraph, followed by a good first page and well The Graveyard Book does have this. Here's that first sentence.

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.If that doesn't grab your attention I don't know what will.

The story follows a young child Nobody Owens (orphaned on that first page) also known as Bod, the only living inhabitant of the graveyard, where ghosts, ghouls, werewolves and witches are his new family and friends. he undergoes a unique education and will have to use his graveyard skills to survive the monsters of the human world.

Like I said not my choice for the big best of children's lit but I'm sure it will be one that I can promote for it dark humour and adventure.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Fisch!
You sent me the blog address months ago, but I've been a little brain dead. What an awesome blog you are running here. I've bookmarked it so I can check back, and I'll definitely be requesting some of these from our library, since I'll be needing some middle-of-the-night reading soon. Hope all is well there!
Lorrie